On The Internets 07.09.2010
- A new investigation by the New York Times has revealed that the greatest number of mortgage defaulters are wealthy Americans. According to the study, 1 in 7 mortgages over a million dollars is "seriously delinquent," while only 1 in 12 under a million dollars is in the same boat. Yet the demonization of the Middle Class continues unabated by the right-wing.
- Is Glenn Beck scamming his supporters and pretending to be donating money to veterans? Beck is holding a rally next month in DC in front of the Lincoln Memorial and billing it as a fundraiser for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. SOWF is a legitimate and highly regarded charity. But if you look at the fine print on Beck's site when you purchase your ticket, it says this, "All contributions made to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation (SOWF) will first be applied to the costs of the Restoring Honor Rally taking place on August 28, 2010. All contributions in excess of these costs will then be retained by the SOWF." So, the charity only gets money after Beck gets his money. Interesting...
- The Washington Post's Dana Milbank has a great column out today that lays waste to the bogus excuses used by the state of Arizona for its draconian anti-Hispanic law. Proponents of the law say Arizona's crime rate is skyrocketing and illegals are the cause. Actual statistics say otherwise, "Two months ago, the Arizona Republic published an exhaustive report that found that, according to statistics from the FBI and Arizona police agencies, crime in Arizona border towns has been 'essentially flat for the past decade'...FBI statistics show violent crime rates in all of the border states are lower than they were a decade ago -- yet Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) reports that the violence is 'the worst I have ever seen.' President Obama justifiably asserted last week that 'the southern border is more secure today than any time in the past 20 years,' yet Rush Limbaugh judged the president to be 'fit for the psycho ward' on the basis of that remark." Once again, conservatives substitute their opinions for facts, and attack anyone who disagrees. So, when will Gov. Jan Brewer, John McCain, and Rush Limbaugh start telling the truth?
- Alec Baldwin is leaving 30 Rock!? Say it ain't so. Please. Baldwin recently told CNN that he won't be returning after this next season. Seriously, I don't see how the show continues. Baldwin is central to that show's appeal.
- Katy Perry is a talentless imbecile whose music is about as appealing as listening to three year olds debate the relative merits of Dora the Explorer. Still, she is one sexy woman. Coed Magazine has assembled a collection of the most cleavage-filled pics of the pop tart.
So Beck covers the costs of the event, and all excess proceeds go to the SOWF. What is the problem with that? He has already donated $100K of his own money to the event, if I recall correctly. I assure you that he will be pilloried by his own supporters, let alone all of you who unreasonably despise him, should he use this venue to line his own pockets.
You and Obama live in a different world if you think the border is more secure now than anytime in the past 20 years.
By the way, Phoenix has skyrocketed to being one of the top, if not THE top, kidnapping capitals of the country. The culprits are largely Mexican drug cartels.
Have a good weekend regardless, Dave!
According to Politifact, which is a neutral, fact checking organization used by both the left and right, the claim you and John McCain are making about Phoenix is absolutely bogus. Nice recitation of talking points, though.
You can continue to make claims about all the violence in border towns, but Arizona law enforcement refutes all of them. And, not coincidentally, is opposed to SB 1070. The police are not on the side of you and Jan Brewer on this one, and neither are the facts. I'm not saying illegal immigration is not a serious problem, because it is. But the way the right demagogues the issue is disturbing.
Regarding Beck, I don't know if he is personally picking up any of the tab, despite the fact that he made over $30 million last year. He is soliciting "donations" for SOWF and using them to fund the costs of his self-promoting rally. But even if he kept all the money for himself (or donated some measly amount like Hannity did), I highly doubt that any of his mindless supporters would complain. He is a master bullshit salesman, and he has the right mesmerized.
Have a good weekend yourself.
Katy Perry does have an impressive rack. Thanks for the pictorial.
Post a Comment